A Little Thing About Me - Why Physical Therapy?

 My name is Mary Hendricks, I'm a physical therapist and I've been doing this for 7 years. My dad was a professor of medicine and veterinary medicine. My mother is a retired librarian and travel agent.
 My father was one of twelve children. He was the 10th and he was the first one to go to college and he got that opportunity through a football scholarship which he turned into a PhD. So he was passionate about all of his children getting a college education. He had no preference of what we chose to study or what we chose to do as a profession but it was pretty well known that you were going to go to college.
 My high school experience was a good one. As a high school athlete, I had a good time on campus. I knew a lot of people from the various sports that I played so it was a pleasant social experience.

I feel very fortunate that I had good teachers even in junior high that made me realize I had certain academic strengths. I had to work hard but I could do well in school and so that allowed me to know kind of deep inside I can achieve what I wanted to achieve. Socially you get mixed up with that, sometimes you want to spend more time with their friends so I worked hard to balance my life so I could have fun socially, work hard in academics and also complete the sports that I wanted to complete. I was like above average student in high school. I wasn't the brightest in the class, I think I worked just hard enough to get solid B+’s, a few A’s I probably could have worked harder looking back but for me that came pretty naturally if I worked hard I could get a B+ or an A. I was never a natural at English or Literature, I was always drawn to the science, the sciences due to my genuine interest in that world. So I had to work a little harder in the non-scientific classes.

When I wasn't in class in high school I spent a lot of time with my friends. I had a really good friend who was an auto mechanic and I use to love watching him performance his craft. I like to spend a lot of time in the weight room kind of year-round preparing for the sports that I participated in.
Through some hardships I learned what I wanted to do for a living. I had a great opportunity through a couple injuries and surgeries and going through physical therapy the light bulb went on. I want to be a physical therapist or an orthopaedic surgeon and as it turned out I became a physical therapist.